Saturday, August 04, 2007

Courgette, leek and pea frittata

I was working from home yesterday, a joy as I usually have a two hour commute, plus I find it easier to concentrate in the quiet of my home and end up being more productive. One of the best things about working from home though, is that I can whip myself up a proper lunch. I get SO sick of sandwiches - there are no decent lunch places around my office and I am not nearly efficient enough to make my own lunch to take in each day, so I basically have to work my way through the various flavours of Marks and Spencer sarnies which I grab 'en route' at the station.

Don't get me wrong, I M&S make decent sandwiches. I just get a little bored of them.

So yesterday, I took a look in the kitchen around one, and was rewarded with three eggs, some leeks, a couple of potatoes and a red onion. Perfect for a frittata, I thought. As a child, 'Spanish Omelette' was a Sunday night favourite, made with whatever ingredients were lying around. My mother's version usually included bacon, red peppers, tomatoes, onions and potato. I haven't named this 'Spanish Omelette' as I feel I might upset the purists! No doubt a tortilla espagnol has fairly precise ingredients (usually just onion and potato, I think).

Anyway, this was speedy and delicious and I would happily serve it to friends with a salad for a summery lunch.



Ingredients (serves 2 hungry)
1 large potato (or two small)
1 red onion (or white would do)
1 medium courgette
1 medium leek
Handful of peas (fresh or frozen)
4 eggs (though 3 will do)
Pinch of herbs, if you have them
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Grated cheese of choice

1. Boil the potatoes until just tender (do not over boil as you need them to hold their shape when sliced). Drain and slice into 1/2 cm thick slices.

2. Chop the courgette - I like it chopped into semi-circles. Again, about 1/2 cm thick. Chop the leek too, same thickness.

3. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick pan (one that fits in your oven). Meanwhile, pre-heat the grill to high.

4. Sweat the leeks for a couple of minutes and then add the courgettes. Fry until tender (al dente). Boil the peas for a few minutes.

5. Tip the sliced potatoes into the pan with all the other veg. Season and add herbs if wished.

6. Lightly beat the eggs and then pour over the filling, swirling round until everything is coated. Cook on medium heat until the bottom half is just set.

7. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese and place under the grill -


8. Grill until nicely browned and the egg is just set. Watch it carefully to avoid overcooking - the frittata will take on a rather rubbery texture.

9. Enjoy with a nice salad!


No comments: